Soup is something I can drink everyday but making something just for you, could not happen in my case as no one likes soups in our home.But my chlodnik, we all loved except my son.
Gazpacho is the name I have heard before, which falls in the category of cold soup. I know there are lots of other cold soups but you can blame my lack of knowledge of knowing this one only.
One fine day when I was watching Food Safari on T.V. and they were showing this soup, ingredients were simple and available at home. The beautiful color they were showing pushed me to try. I just ran over to my local vegetable vendor for the beetroot which is the only ingredient which I don’t have.
Beetroot is something we don’t like generally but we all know the benefits of beetroot, beetroot has been linked with better stamina, improved blood flood and lower blood pressure. So adding this power pack in some way or the other is the best idea to include it in our daily diet . It could be included in the cake, juice and now even soup. You never know what healthy food experiment hits and liked by any of our loved ones. As far as I am concerned, its going to be make very soon.
Chlodnik also known as cold beetroot soup. This vibrant coloured chlodnik is a popular summer dish in Poland . The warm version of beetroot soup is called barszaz.
I adapted the recipe of Food Safari. I halved the recipe.
- 300 g (3 medium) beetroot, trimmed
- 100 g (1 medium) brushed potato
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, coarsely chopped (I used normal cucumber)
- 2 small French shallots, coarsely chopped
- 250 g natural yoghurt
- ½ lemon, juiced, or to taste
- salt and white pepper, to season
- 60 g crème fraîche (I used hung yogurt)
- 1½ tbsp very finely chopped chives(I used basil finally chopped)
- Using gloves, peel and chop the beetroot and place in a saucepan. Peel and chop the potatoes and add to pan. Add the stock. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20–25 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the heat, cool, then refrigerate until chilled.
- Place the beetroot mixture in a blender. Add the cucumber, French shallot and yoghurt. Puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Ladle into bowls, top with a dollop of hung yogurt and fresh basil.