Now, when fog has finally knocked Delhi’s door and welcomed by all, yes it may sound untrue but there is something special about Delhi winters. We all wait for this time of the year. During this time we enjoy soups, tea and coffee every now and then and munching all the time without bothering about our growing pot belly because we know it will hide in long coats or sweaters and these are the best days to excuse yourself from taking morning walk. But for some it is very harsh health wise, but why to cry on a happy site. Let’s talk about a best way to start your winter morning after a hot hot cup of tea – Zucchini.
Yes I have been singing zucchini song for long and now when it is in abundance, I can try whatever I want. With it, I tried zucchini spicy muffin and must say it was worth waiting for this humble vegetable. They were so tasty, I really recommend zucchini, pumpkin, carrot and beetroot in your cake, in winters you can try them with spices and in summer with chocolate.
I am so happy to see my baking goes healthy. First, I successfully started by replacing plain flour with wheat flour, by reducing sugar to almost half, then by adding vegetables and fruits and by substituting cream with hung curd, not totally but partially and not to forget without compromising with taste.
My family members also loved my bakes, they find the sugar so perfect and when I tell them about the added advantage they just love to have them.
Recipe minimally adapted from Taste of Home
Makes: 12 small muffins
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ + 1 tbsp cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup hung curd
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberry
- Chocolate chips to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree C.
- In a bowl, sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combing egg, sugar, zucchini and oil with a spoon.
- Fold walnut and raisins into the dry ingredients and finally fold dry ingredients with the wet. Remember while making muffin the less you beat, the moist muffins will come out.
- Oil a muffin tray and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.